As part of our Data Center Automation Services Delivery, we are happy to release a beta Chef Cookbook for UCS Deployments! We consider this cookbook as Stage1, where it helps prepare a UCS environment for Stage 2 (OS Deployment) and Stage 3 (Application/Service turn up). Look for more in the next fews weeks, including updates to ucslib, knife-ucs and a “howto” guide.
For those who maybe new to Chef.
What does our UCS cookbook do? At a high-level:
1. Initial Setup – setup ntp, chassis discovery policy, power-policy, mgmt IP Pool, etc
2. Turn up Server Ports, Uplink Ports, Port Channels.
3. Set VLANS, VSANs
4. Set Pools – Mac, WWPN, WWNN, Server, UUID
5, Set Templates – vNIC, vHBA, Service Profile
6. Create Service Profiles and bind it to a template
7. Associate a Service Profile Template to a Server Pool.
In this example cookbook, we follow a convention and run the Chef recipes per the run_list.
Where can you get it?